Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sydney's Island Adventure: Days 3,4,5 & 6

I could get used to this. Quickly.

It's been easy to have a good time in Hawaii. All you have to do is look around and you'll enjoy yourself! The weather has been nearly perfect, which only makes it better.

Sunday, July 4

Our first full day, we spent the morning walking around and getting acquainted with our condo complex. We checked out the beach and the pool and met up with some Servpro
friends who are also staying here. That afternoon, we drove a few miles to Hapuna Beach, one of the best beaches on the Big Island. I was sad to learn there that Sydney does not love the beach. In fact, I don't think she really likes it at all. I think she was a little overwhelmed by the waves. She & I spent most of the afternoon on a towel under the umbrella, and I gave up my dream of spending every day for the next two weeks in the sand (along with my dream for having a true Hawaiian tropic tan). We capped off the day with grilled hamburgers and fireworks on the lanai.


Monday, July 5

Rob & Ryan played in the convention golf tournament, so Sydney and I checked out some of the shops down the street with our friends Terra & Isaac (Isaac is about 5 weeks older than Syd). That evening we went to Brown's Beach House for dinner. It was a beautiful setting with a perfect view of the most gorgeous sunset I've ever seen.







Wednesday, July 7

After the morning sessions, Rob ducked out of the convention a little early and we drove around the entire Big Island. The views were incredible, especially where the ocean met the sky in a slightly brighter shade of blue. We went through Volcano National Park where we saw the crater on top of Kileaua, stood over a steam vent, and hiked through a lava tube. No lava was flowing today though; bummer. After that, we went to a black sand beach- crazy beautiful! We tried to find a green sand beach too, which ended up making our trip home about 3 hours longer than we planned AND we never found the green sand! At least we were able to laugh about going on an adventure together.

On a serious note too, please pray for Sydney. She hasn't slept well since we left home. I don't know if it's the time difference (5 hours) or being in a new place or teething, but she's been waking up screaming in the middle of the night and won't go back down in her pack'n'play. We're having a fabulous time when the sun is up; after dark has been miserable and it's been tough. (I know no one feels sorry for us because we're in Hawaii, but it really has been hard, especially feeling like we're making Sydney feel badly somehow. When you think of us, please pray for rest so that we can fully enjoy the opportunity God has given us to be here. We're grateful for the chance to stand in awe of His glory in His creation here.


1 comment:

  1. Will be praying for Sydney's (and your) rest. I kid you not when I say that we also could not find the green sand beach! Maybe it's a joke the locals play on tourists.

    ReplyDelete