WOW!! There are no words... amazing, incredible, beautiful, intriguing, fabulous- they don't do it justice. Let me back up to the getting here, though.
Sydney was a great traveler once again. We had a 5.5 hour flight from LA to Honolulu. A very nice mom of four teenage girls sat beside us, which helped me calm down immediately from my worries about Syd bothering our seat companion. My worrying was unnecessary, though. She cried a combined total of maybe 4 minutes throughout the entire flight, never for more than a minute or so at a time. I was so proud of her- she was such a trooper. We had a quick layover in Honolulu before our 45 minute flight to Kona on the Big Island.
The airport in Kona was like something out of a movie- more like a series of tiki huts and covered walkways than an airport! Really, I think it was all outdoors (except for the restrooms). We had to make a few minor changes at the rental car place- we had to upgrade to something a little bigger than the convertible we had reserved. The four of us would have fit just fine, but the luggage was a little much for the trunk! (We're going to trade the jeep back for a convertible today though!) We drove around a little bit and were admittedly all surprised by the landscape. While we were expecting the entire island to be a lush, green paradise, it was closer to how I picture the surface of the moon! Jagged, black lava rocks spread out in every direction, spotted by dry grass and random colorful, flower covered shrubs. While we excitedly pointed out everything, Sydney on the other hand was asleep within about 15 seconds! As we got closer and closer to the beach, everything started looking more and more like the tropical wonderland we had anticipated.
Our condo is awesome! (I say this not to make anyone jealous, but because this is my only travel journal and I want to remember it) It's beautifully decorated and if we weren't in Hawaii, I think all four of us would be content to stay inside and hang out here all week. My favorite part is the open living room that opens right out onto the covered lanai. Our "patio" (ha- what an understatement) has ceramic tile flooring and comfortable wicker furniture next to an incredible outdoor cooking area. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so excited to stand at a grill! We definitely felt like we were in paradise once we got settled in.
Sydney was slightly delirious again after a long day of travel. She sat on the floor and laughed and laughed and laughed- at me, at her toys, at nothing! I'm so glad we brought her along! AND- (drumroll please) she took her first crawling "steps"!!! Rob and I were so excited, and I was thrilled that we both got to see this milestone in the making. She's only going 2-3 steps (is that the right word? creeps? paces? whatever- you know what I mean) at a time so far, but I have a feeling she'll be chasing us around by the end of the week.
She slept pretty well last night, so I'm hoping she'll adjust to the five-hour time difference soon. She whimpered several times during the night, but was easily soothed by us just talking to her. At 4am she was wide awake and ready to play, but after a little food in her belly we laid her in bed with us and she finally went back to sleep until about 6:45. I was up at 6:15 and was able to enjoy a cup of coffee in the cool morning breeze out on the lanai before my day really started.
We're having a blast (obviously) and can already tell this week is going to pass WAY too quickly! Wish you were here! Hopefully I'll get some pics & video uploaded tonight to share...
No comments:
Post a Comment