Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Welcome 2010!

Happy New Year! What? I'm six days late? Oh well- at least I'm still here! I'm not one to make new years resolutions, but over the past five or six years I've made it a tradition to make a "gratitude list" at the start of every year. It's always fun to sit back and think about what I'm thankful for in the past year, and pray with hope about the coming year. I've come up with as many as 100 things one year, but let's be honest- I don't have that much time these days. So here's my top 10...

The Top 10 Things I'm Thankful for in 2009
1. Seriously- is there any question?!? SYDNEY CLAIRE DIXON
This tiny girl was absolutely the biggest and best thing that happened to me all year! The doctors weren't sure it was even a viable pregnancy, so that makes her an even bigger blessing. There are so many reasons I could list explaining why I'm thankful for her-- the smiles, the snuggles, the sweet noises in her sleep, the funny faces, the explosion of love like I've never felt before... So, so thankful!

2. My new understanding of God's love for me
As a result of number 1, I have number 2. To think that the love I have for Sydney is nothing compared to God's love- it's hard to imagine anything stronger. My salvation is new again too; at least, I'm seeing it through a new lens. I love my baby girl more than I can describe, and I am certain I would not be able to sacrifice her for any other person- especially not for people who would reject her and mock her. 

3. Rob
2009 was our second full year of marriage. I'm so happy to say that we still feel like we're in the honeymoon stage! I will never forget the expression on his face when the doctor told us that I was pregnant, or the similar look he had the moment Sydney entered the world. I'm lucky to be loved by him. He is my best friend and I couldn't ask for a better husband. (I love you, Pui!)

4. My job at LifeWay Christian Resources
I'm thankful for the opportunity to work for such a great company. In an unsteady economy, many people fell victim to job cuts, even at Lifeway. No one's job was secure, and I was thankful to keep mine. I enjoyed the projects, my co-workers, and the editorial work. I'm happy that I've given it up for 2010 for a new full-time job, and will always look back on my time at LifeWay with a smile.

5. Servpro
Rob's company experienced strong growth last year (in that same struggling economy). We're so thankful for God's provision through Servpro over the past three years.

6. A New Decade of Life
In 2009, I said goodbye to my 20s and embraced 30 with a big grin and a bear hug! In the months leading up to my birthday, I kept waiting for the proverbial dread to sink in, but it never came- I was ready and waiting for 30 and so far it's been a phenomenal year!

7. My Freedom
Rob and I had the chance to travel to Washington DC twice in 2009. I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would, and I developed a deep appreciation for our country and it's brief history. God bless the USA.

8. My Friends
I moved to Nashville in 2007 and had one friend when I came (I moved here to marry him). The older I get, I've realized that deep relationships with girlfriends are not necessarily easy to start. Several friendships grew deeper last year, and I'm thankful that I now have a handful of women I can call true friends.

9. Rock Band
I got a Wii for Christmas last year and Rock Band quickly became my favorite game. Shallow, I know, but it brought me lots of hours of fun this past year!

10. Root Beer and Sonic ice
I'm sure it's because I was pregnant most of the year, but 2009 was the year of Barq's root beer for me. Only Barq's. Especially over Sonic ice. Sometimes blended with ice cream in a float. Now I'm thirsty.

*Disclaimer: I tried to keep this list specific and relevant to 2009. I'm always thankful for the ongoing people and goodness in my life like my family and my church. Don't think I'm not!

So there you have it, folks. 2009 was a great year! I'm thankful that I have so much to be thankful for, and funny enough, I'm excited tonight thinking about my list for 2010 and the things I'll get to be thankful for this year!

1 comment:

  1. Pregnant or not, I'm always ready for a DP from Sonic. Great list! Cute baby!

    ReplyDelete