Today was the best day I've had in at least a week. It was relaxing and refreshing, and the weather was awesome-- 65 and sunny! We didn't necessarily do anything spectacular; it was just good.
For starters, Rob's cousin Shannon was in town, visiting us from college. We had a slow, easy breakfast (homecooked by the dear Sister Schubert). After Sydney's nap, we girls headed down to Music Row to get Shannon's viola adjusted, yummy lunch at Panera, and then we were off to meet Rob at Red Caboose Park.
Sydney loves the park- any park- and I love taking her. It's so much fun to follow behind her as she explores and investigates everything. She always finds the slides. (The girl is a crazy sliding machine!! This week, she has gone down her little indoor slide RUNNING- which I tried to discipline her for, but was distracted by her laughing in sheer glee- and HEADFIRST! Many days, I wish she wasn't so fearless.) Anyway, she found the big one today, and immediately went for it! No matter how nervous she makes me, I love seeing the joy in her eyes when we're at the park.
After her pretty overalls were almost completely gray with dirt, we decided to go for frozen yogurt before going home for a nap. I SO wish I had taken a video of Syd- EATING HER ICE CREAM WHILE FALLING ASLEEP! It was precious!! Tired as she was, she didn't want to miss a bite of our peanut butter/chocolate dreaminess.
One more good nap, and we ended the day taking Sydney and Shannon to their first Hibachi grill. Our chef was the worst one I've ever seen (he was so boring, and hardly said a word during his "show"), but at least the food was really good. Syd liked watching the chef when the grill was flaming; as soon as that was done she lost interest.
Perhaps, my favorite part of the day, though, was on the way home after dinner. Syd has a baby doll, Lulu, that rides in the car with her. She (Syd, not Lulu) had gotten tired, and was a little fussy, and then quieted suddenly. I glanced back just in time to see her take her pacifier out of her mouth and offer it to Lulu before kissing her and hugging her to her shoulder. She gently patted Lulu's bottom for several minutes until we got home- where she tossed her over the side of the car seat as she waited to be unbuckled! It warms my heart to see these moments of tenderness as Syd "mothers" her dolls. In a moment of wanting to be comforted herself, our sweet girl offered comfort instead.
It's days like this that I want to hit "Repeat" and enjoy it over and over again...
great post - I love how you savor motherhood.
ReplyDelete