Saturday, February 5, 2011

Theology gone awry

We love the Lord, and we want to teach Sydney to do the same. She hears us pray at least five times every day: before Rob leaves for work in the mornings, before three meals, and at bedtime.  We are doing our best to set a good example for Syd, praying continually.
I noticed this week that Syd started saying "Ah-BAH" when I say "Amen." "Sweet," I thought, "She's really starting to get it!" She continued saying "Ah-BAH" more and more, often as soon as I said "in Jesus' name", overlapping my Amen. I told Rob excitedly that I thought Sydney was beginning to understand praying.
But then I realized something. Syd was only saying "Ah-bah" in her highchair, not when we pray in the mornings or in her room at night. We even tried pausing before "amen" to see if she would end it for us, but nothing. Rob and I talked about it, and I mentioned that I wonder if she's intentionally ending our prayers, or if "Ah-bah" means something more like bon apetite'  to her!
Well, today she cleared it up for us. I put Syd in her highchair and began making her a peanut butter & jelly sandwich for lunch. While she was watching me put together her sandwich, she started saying, over and over again-- ah-bah, ah-bah, ah-bah...
Apparently it doesn't mean quite the same thing to her that it does to us- we'll need to keep working on that!
Ah-BAH... Let's eat!

2 comments:

  1. Andrew claimed our middle son was going to be a theological wizard because that was his first word "Abba" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could this mean..."A Bite?" Do you say "take a bite," or anything rather frequently? We are trying to figure out what the mess "Buu Boy"....she says Bye Bye so we know it's not that! She says Boobie, so we know it's not that. I'm at a loss..

    ReplyDelete