Friday, April 23, 2010

It Won't Be Like This For Long

Seriously, time is flying way too fast. These days are so good, and I just want to hang on to them and make them last forever. Time with Sydney, time with Rob, time with friends, time at church- I want to savor it all. So much has changed in my world over the past five months, and not just the tiny girl who moved into our house. My job, and therefore my roles and responsibilities, and therefore my identity, have all changed. Becoming a mom definitely brings with it an identity crisis. Don't get me wrong- I LOVE being a mommy! It's affected the way I see and do everything though.
I've always liked Darius Rucker. Back when he was Hootie (with his band, The Blowfish), I wore out his CD (one of my first, I have to add). Several years later, I went to see them in concert when no one even knew they were still together. When he went solo and country a year or two ago, I was thrilled. I still really like him. He's the daddy of girls, and he's got a song about a daddy and daughter. Last summer, on the day we found out Sydney was a girl, Rob and I were driving down the interstate when that song came on the radio, and I burst into tears- "We're having a girl!" And I'll be honest, I haven't been able to listen to that song without crying since.
Earlier this week, Sydney and I were playing in her room, listening to her ipod. (Rob commandeered my ipod shuffle for Sydney and filled it with music for her. I always play it in random shuffle mode.) We had just settled down in the recliner to trim Syd's nails when the song came on. She was a little antsy and fussy when it started. Shortly into the first verse, I put down the emery board and squeezed my girl, and we just sat and rocked and cuddled while we listened to the song (and tears streaked my face). A sweet memory was made that morning.
I've been trying to keep my priorities in check. Dishes sometimes get left in the sink overnight, mail sits unopened on the counter for days at a time, clean laundry sometimes stays in the dryer- I don't want to miss a second of life. Rob has been very gracious and affirming, even when I neglect the housework and go to the park instead. I probably put more pressure on myself to try to sleep less so I can accomplish more. Monday morning, though, sitting there with Sydney, I was reminded that sometimes it's worth it to leave things undone. I'm so glad I didn't miss that memory.

It Won't Be Like This For Long
by: Ashley Gorley, Charles Dubois, Darius Rucker

He didn't have to wake up

He'd been up all night
Lying there in bed and listening
To his newborn baby cry
He makes a pot of coffee
He splashes water on his face
His wife gives him a kiss and says,
"It's gonna be okay"

"It won't be like this for long
One day we'll look back laughing
At the week we brought her home
This phase is gonna fly by
So baby, just hold on
It won't be like this for long"


Four years later, 'bout 4:30
She's crawling in their bed
And when he drops her off at pre-school
She's clinging to his leg
The teacher peels her off of him
He says, "What can I do?"
She says, "Now, don't you worry
This'll only last a week or two"


"It won't be like this for long
One day soon you'll drop her off
And she won't even know you're gone
This phase is gonna fly by
If you can just hold on
It won't be like this for long"


Someday soon she'll be a teenager
And at times, he'll think she hates him
And he'll walk her down the aisle
And raise her veil,
But right now she's up and cryin'
And the truth is that he don't mind
As he kisses her goodnight
And she says her prayers


He lays down there beside her
Till her eyes are finally closed
And just watching her it breaks his heart
'Cause he already knows

It won't be like this for long
One day soon that little girl is gonna be

All grown up and gone
And this phase is gonna fly by
So he's trying to hold on
It won't be like this for long

It won't be like this for long

1 comment: