Friday, June 18, 2010

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming

What? I've been a bad blogger? What are you talking about? Ok, ok, I admit it. But in my defense, I've been trying to be a good mom and good wife and I willingly traded the good blogger hat to try and hang on to both of those.
Gosh, where did I leave off... my mom came to visit for a few days last month, which was great. Sydney loved all the attention from Nana, and I loved having an eager (ie: free) babysitter for a few days.
The first weekend of June we went to our semi-annual "Union Reunion". Rob's group of college friends all get together at a lake house every summer. Since I'm the only one who didn't go to Union University and married into the group, I'm thankful that they've adopted me into their circle and I now look forward to the weekend with my friends too. This year we had 14 kids under the age of four (see the picture from last week)! It was madness, but in a good way. I have to say, I was impressed and proud that all our kids are so well behaved, and I am thankful that Sydney will have so many older friends to grow up with who I know will be positive influences on her. She's the third youngest of the group- until September!
We also took a road trip to Louisiana to celebrate my grandmother's 80th birthday with my family. It was our first nine-hour trip with Syd, and I don't think any of us are anxious for the next one! Our time there was great, but the travel itself was hard. It was really neat watching Syd with her cousins this time; it's a lot more fun now that she notices the big kids. My mom also finally got both of her grandkids to sit still next to each other for a picture- she's been wanting this since Sydney was born!
It was worth the long journey, and even though we won't be excited about the drive, I know all three of us will be happy when it's time to go again.

Late last night I remembered a few things I wished I'd put in Sydney's seven-month update yesterday. For one, she has started reaching for us when she wants to be picked up. LOVE! And she gives kisses now too. She will grab your nose and hair, and press her little open mouth to your cheek or chin and shake her head and say, "Mmmmuuaaa!" and it is the sweetest thing. Ever. I'm starting to work on blowing kisses and waving now. She also sat up on her own from a laying down position yesterday. Slow down with the growing up already!
I'm learning a lot. Being a mom is absolutely the hardest job I've ever had. When I was pregnant, I had all these visions and dreams of being a perfect stay at home mom and Sydney's face and clothes would always be clean and I'd have a homecooked meal ready for Rob every night... and then I woke up in reality. I realize that 99% of the pressure I feel is self-inflicted, and then I add guilt to my list of shortcomings. I wish I could write that I've come to grips with my real life and accepted my imperfections, but honestly, I haven't. I still cry a lot because I think I'm not doing a very good job. I even get frustrated when I do everything I know to do for Syd and she's still unhappy. I always tell her though, that's why God makes babies so cute- you can't be mad at them for more than a few seconds... even when they're screaming, it only takes one little curl of their lip or grasp for your neck and you think they're the most precious creature in the world again. And even in the middle of the hardest nights, being a mom is the best job ever and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is hard on herself. Geoff and I had this long talk just the other night about being content. So hard! Some times I wonder how other mothers do it all & I have to remind myself that they DON'T. There houses are a mess, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! I put so much pressure on myself to be supermom, and in the end, I'm lucky if I can get hot dogs on the table when my hubby comes home from work. It's all such a blessing though, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if this is encouragement or discouragement (I hope it isn't the latter!), but I had a good ole cry the other day about "not feeling like supermom" the other day...and my "baby" is 2-1/2!! It's a tough job, for sure...but it's the best one!

    ReplyDelete