Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kids Say the Sweetest Things

I had another check-up at the OB today. At my doctor's invitation and suggestion, we've brought Sydney along to most of these visits, so she's grown quite familiar with the office and all the nurses and staff there- who LOVE her, by the way! (And yes, I said We. Rob has been just as diligent with baby #2 as he was with baby #1 about going to all my appointments with me. One of the many things I love about him.) Anyway...
Today, while we were in the waiting room, Sydney kept saying something that sounded a lot like happy, but we weren't sure. She's never really said that before, and it didn't quite make sense. We had no idea where that word came from or what had prompted it, but she said it over and over while were were in the waiting room, and more while were in the doctor's office.
I heard it a few more times from her this afternoon, but I still didn't know for sure what she was trying to say. Rob worked late tonight, so it was just us girls for dinner. It has become part of Sydney's mealtime routine to check out my belly and talk to her brother when she's done eating, before she gets up from her highchair (where she sits eye-level with my bellybutton when I'm standing in front of her). Often times, she'll try to reach for my belly before I've had a chance to wash her hands, so I have to carefully maneuver around to make sure I don't end up with hand prints around my midsection every day! Tonight, as Syd reached out for her brother. like she always does, she said it again. Happy! 'Is she really saying happy?' I wondered to myself.
"Can you say 'baby'?" BAH-BEE!
"Can you say 'brother'?" BUH-DAH!
"Can you say 'Henry'?" HAP-PY!!!
"CAN YOU SAY 'HENRY'?" HAP-PY!!!
***You need to know- Sydney has never said, or even attempted to say "Henry" before today! Usually when we ask her "Can you say...?" and throw out a new, more difficult word, she answers simply, "Yeah." It's pretty funny, actually!
I was ecstatic- for several reasons!
1- She's finally trying to say her brother's name
2- She's calling him "Happy" (I mean, come on- does it get any cuter than that?!)
3- I finally figured out what she'd been saying all day
4- Oh my word, did she figure out on her own that we were at the doctor's office to check on Henry? My daughter's a genius!
You can imagine how "happy" this mommy's heart is tonight! I hope little brother lives up to his nickname. And I'm totally ok with her calling him "Happy" for the rest of her life!

1 comment:

  1. Cute! Just wanted to let you know I'm still reading, even if I don't comment much. I'm trying to get better about that... :-)

    ReplyDelete