Wow!
I honestly didn't know what to expect when we moved Sydney to a "big girl bed", but I was afraid. She's just a little too bold for her own good sometimes. She has proved me wrong, though, and has done SO well! (Granted, she's only been in it for one night and one naptime, but so far, so good!)
We made the big switch yesterday during naptime. We put her down for her nap in the pack'n'play in our bonus room so we could move furniture in her bedroom. We took out the crib, dresser, and recliner, and replaced them with a toddler bed and a different chair. We made the bed up with her same sheets & dust ruffle, and even put the bumper on it since she loves to sleep snuggled in the corner. It was a big decision for Rob & I whether or not to let Syd keep her pacifiers in the new bed. Eventually, we agreed that since she only has it (them) in the bed, they might actually help her stay there since she knows that's the only time she gets her "ba-ba". We also debated whether to put a temporary rail on the open side. We had already bought the rail, and even put it together and put it on the bed, before we decided that it would be too tempting for her to climb over it to get out of the bed, and that just meant she would have a little bit further distance down to the floor. We knew that the rail wasn't a good, permanent solution, so we figured why not let her just learn to sleep there without falling out, and if she did, it wasn't a far enough fall to hurt her.
When she woke up from her nap, we got her paci's and blanket out of the pack'n'play and told her to go put them back in her bed. She seemed a little surprised that her bed was missing a side, but she went right up to it, and didn't hesitate to climb right on up. She went up and down a few times while we cheered her on and talked about how big she would be sleeping in that bed.
Then came bedtime- night one. Rob and I both went upstairs with Syd to put her to bed. We went through her normal bedtime routine; the only difference was that she was already in the bed instead of one of our laps in the rocking chair. We sat on the floor beside her bed and sang a few songs and prayed with her. Once we were done, she sat up and watched us walk out of the room and shut the door. Of course, we grabbed the monitor to watch and see what she did next. At first, she looked around for a minute or two, seemingly contemplating the fact that she could get up, obviously debating whether or not that was a good idea. Curiousity got the best of her, and she slowly crept out of the bed and went over to her bookshelf, grabbed a book, and carried it back to the bed. Then she got another book! For nearly 15 minutes, we watched and laughed as she went back and forth between the bookshelf and the bed, sometimes pausing to get back in the bed and flip a few pages before getting up again to get another. I wanted to go in and tell her that it was time to sleep, but Rob wanted us to wait. "The darkness will stop her soon." And it did! She finally settled down and found a comfortable place among all the books and blankets and went to sleep.
When Rob & I went up to bed shortly after 10:30, he went to put up a baby gate in her doorway so that we could open the door. While he was adjusting the gate, he heard a loud THUD! He opened the door, and there was Syd- laying on the floor, looking up and trying to figure out what was going on. He rushed to her and scooped her up, and she was back asleep before he sat down in the chair with her. Poor thing! I hated that she fell out, and was so glad that Rob was able to immediately go to her as soon as it happened.
We still weren't sure what she would do in the morning, and couldn't wait to find out. I heard her moving around 7:00. I flipped on the monitor and watched her get up and go to the door, although she didn't say anything. (In the crib, she usually laid there and talked quietly to herself and sang while she woke up slowly). She went back to her bed and lay back down. Seriously?! We didn't hear anything else out of her until I went to get her up around 7:40 for church. She was sitting up in the corner of the bed, paci in her mouth, flipping the pages of a book. I could hardly believe my eyes!!
We really didn't know what to expect with this transition, but it was definitely easier than we thought it would be! I can only hope now that it continues after the novelty wears off!!
* edited 7/25 to add...
She is doing great!! Bedtimes have been easier than naptimes, but it's been fabulous. I'm especially proud of her naptimes-- both yesterday and today, she cried when I put her down and tried to follow me out. BUT- after I closed the door, even though she continued to cry for another minute or two (not long at all), she turned around and put herself back to bed. I can't believe how big she suddenly seems...
Yeah Syd!! Way to go!
ReplyDelete