* Yes, I'm going to completely ignore the fact that I haven't posted in almost two months! My goal is to post every day this week in an attempt to catch up. This is my accountability. We'll see how it goes!
Sydney has totally adopted the "lazy, hazy days of summer" attitude, and I love her all the more for it! Granted, she's been staying up a little later than usual with the longer daylight hours, but it's been becoming a trend for her to sleep 8p-8a, or even 8:30 sometimes. She's not really a morning person and it takes her a while to really wake up. She usually starts stirring, which we can hear through the monitor, and then talks to herself or sings for a few minutes before she calls for us. We're all happy with this situation.
Saturday morning, Rob and I woke up in a somber mood. We had plans to attend a memorial service that afternoon for a friend from church. We didn't know Emmett well, but we'd been deeply affected by his battle with cancer over the past year, and our entire church family was hurting with his family. I'd told Rob of his passing a few days before, but he didn't read the blog until Friday night, and he had been up late with a heavy heart. We laid in bed talking for a while, and prayed together while Sydney went through her usual morning routine. Even though she wasn't calling for us yet, Rob and I were both ready to see our girl so I got up to go get her.
As I turned the corner to go to her room, I could see her sitting up, but she was playing with a doll or something and she didn't see me coming. I walked into her room and startled her. Now, I never really watched "Hee-Haw", but I remember there was a character (or characters) on that show who used to pop straight up out of a cornfield or something. In that same way, Sydney shot to her feet in her crib to see what was going on- eyes wide open and TWO pacifiers in her mouth, side-by-side. I completely lost it and burst into loud laughter! Syd obviously didn't know what was so funny and started smiling at me, reaching out towards me; it was then that I noticed two MORE pacis in her little hand. I cracked up! We're down to only giving her a paci, or "ba-ba", in the bed, and our little addict is apparently soaking up every minute she can get her fix!
Rob heard us through the monitor, and of course was anxious to hear what was so funny. It was exactly what we needed to break up the seriousness of the morning. We were able to snap out of the gloom and enjoy some family time over waffles. The memorial service was of course painfully sad, but also a beautiful, hopeful celebration of the life of a man who loved Jesus and loved people. We did not grieve as those without hope (1 Thes. 4:13); we worshipped God as we were reminded not to take a moment of this life He gives us for granted.
No comments:
Post a Comment